Doing a visual reference for next year's daffodils


It's April 11th, and here in the Phoenix, Arizona area, the blooms of the bulbs, and the annuals will be fading away fairly quickly. When the heat comes on (and it's already in the 90s), the season is over. 

But I'm expecting the daffodils to return next year, and even multiply, so I'm being very careful not to cut the leaves off, and being sure to allow them to die back naturally (you can see that they're tied up with rubber bands), and I just took this photo as a visual reference for next year.

Sadly, I planted the annuals too late in the season for them to be large enough at this point to cover up the rubber-banded daffodil leaves. But there's always next year, and I'll be planting the annuals much earlier so that when the daffodils are finished blooming next year, the coverage will be much better. And in order to do that properly, I'll need to know where the bulbs are so I don't accidentally plant an annual right on top of it.

I plant annuals very small, from six-packs, so they can be close to the bulbs, but it's nice to not make a mess of things, and I was so afraid that I'd accidentally disturb the bulbs this year when I planted the annuals, they were too far away. Too far away, too little, too late. Live and learn!

Next season should be awesome! I'll let you know how it goes.

Update September 30th. The weather is finally cooling off and I'll my plan this year is to plant some alyssum, since it did so well before, as opposed to the petunias, which did terrible. Here's what I've sketched out to guide me:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants