Freesia about to bloom

It's March 5th and here at The Tropical Paradise the freesia are just starting to bud. It doesn't look like much at first, but once it gets started, it's fireworks! I am posting this because the first time I planted freesia, I never found anything on the web but flowers in full bloom. I wanted to know, "is it supposed to look like that?"

This is what it looks like a few days before the blooms start. And this is the time to start staking. I bought some thin bamboo sticks at my local dollar store and tied the stalks with flexible gardening tape, which I carefully cut lengthwise. I wish it didn't show so much but apparently the manufacturer's idea of "green" is different from green in the real world.

The flowers grow on stalks about a foot and a half tall, and once they start blooming, they go in sequence. So it's a good idea to keep them where you can reach them easily to clean off spent blooms.

OK, now all I need is a little more time and a little warm weather and these beauties will be blooming!

Freesia blooming in sequence

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants