Cleaning up after the freeze

It's January 29th here at The Tropical Paradise and I've finally finished cleaning up most of the damage to the elephant ears and the canna. I hauled away a lot of damaged foliage, which was kind'a sad, but it needed to be done, anyway. The area by my dining room window seems a little barren, but it's already starting to grow back. In a month or two, the canopy will be growing strong.

There is still some damage to the pygmy date palms, but I am going to leave them alone for a little while. When the weather warms up I will trim them back very hard to the green center growth. But it's still a little cool today, and downright cold at night, so it's best to wait.

As you can see, the grass is fine. Because, well, it's plastic. Best investment I ever made. I will need to get out there with the blower, but I will wait for the ground to dry off a bit more. We got a little rain last night but the sun has come back out, and it will dry up quickly. Besides, a few stray leaves makes artificial turf look less artificial. I've seen some of the newer types that even have a few dead brown patches built in to make it seem more realistic. If you're thinking of doing this, don't be tempted to put in a "putting green" unless you want your backyard to look like a goofy "putt-putt" course.

I am pleased by how the big chunk of quartz looks there, and am going to be getting more pointy rocks from a friend of mine who is redoing his backyard. All I gotta do is go over there and get them. A good project for tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants