Growing herbs for beauty and health at The Tropical Paradise

On an impulse this spring I purchased some mint and some thyme in tiny pots at Baker's Nursery in Phoenix. I just thought that they had a nice look to them and their small size seemed to be just right for the tiny scale of The Tropical Paradise. I've tried to grow mint before, and it failed, so this time I tried to nurture it along. It has made it through the summer - is it too early to say that? - and I have confidence that it will really start growing strong.

This area of The Tropical Paradise is where I have the deepest shade. As you can see, I have also planted begonia, and right behind the light fixture is a zamia cycad. The idea of the mint was for it to spread and cover up the unsightly "stilt" roots of the Phoenix roebellini (dwarf date palm). While those roots are perfectly normal and absolutely healthy, I just, well, don't like the looks of them. So hopefully the mint will spread and do the job this season!

I had been trimming the mint back regularly, to keep it full - all you have to do is pinch it with your fingers, and throwing away the leaves, but a friend of mine yesterday took some and ate it, telling me that it was also good for stomach aches. I had no idea!

But I have just had it confirmed today by a Master Gardener for the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension office in Maricopa County. So I am going to stop throwing away the trimmings and start eating them! And hopefully my stomach will be feeling better!

If you're interested in learning more about what I call "eating plants", find out about the Culinary Historians of Arizona (CHAZ). The email is culinaryhistorians.az@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants