The coleus garden

I just started a new planting area here in The Tropical Paradise that I am calling *The Coleus Garden*. It's where I had a gigantic rock up until this morning. I rolled it away, and will tend to it later, and revealed a nice planting area that gets morning sun and afternoon shade, which should be perfect for my coleus, which I started from seed. Yeah, they're pretty tiny, but they're there! And they will grow fast. Along with the coleus, I have planted several types of leaf lettuce, and along the edge, more alyssum. In addition to adding fresh potting soil, I added some dry slow release plant food (Osmocote®) and some polymer moisture crystals for each planting.

I have determined that this is a slug-free zone (I lost my battle with the slugs last month in spite of putting out beer and killing quite a few), and this slope does not get automatic watering (which is why I put a big rock there in the first place) so I will have to hand-water it. I did put a nice decorative piece of quartz in the center, for visual interest, which I will move out as the plants fill up the space. I have more coleus seedlings growing out in the pots in the courtyard, as they get big enough, I will move more in. On the right, you can see that the carrots are doing well, and the frond hanging down on the left is from a Dioon spinulosum cycad.
Coleus seedling

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants