Discouraging birds from digging in your garden

I like birds. My garden attracts a lot of them, including hummingbirds. They are attracted by the water, and the shade. But some of them want worms. And when they go digging for worms, they excavate a big hole. For a long time I have laughed this off, but the most recent hole was where I had just planted some bulbs. I replanted the bulbs and have now begun setting up a bird defense. I don't want to distract birds in general, I just want them to avoid areas where I have recently planted bulbs. And apparently there is an easy way, so I am going to try it.

Today, I took some twine and strung it between a small post and other anchor-points, such as the misting heads, and even one of the cycads. It's only a few inches off the ground. On the twine I have wrapped a little bit of aluminum foil. Hopefully this will discourage the birds. I guess I will find out today.

Update later in the day - Saw more evidence of bird digging. Looks like I will need to add more twine. The articles I read did say to *criss-cross*, which I failed to do. Will add more in the morning!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants