How to plant a palm tree in Arizona - adding companion plants

After planting the tree and firming in the soil around the rootball, it's good to add some companion plants for your palm tree. I am looking for a Tropical Paradise look here, like an oasis in the desert, so I want to add plants that like water. The tiny red spike that you see is a canna, next to that is an amaryllis. You can't see it under the leaves of the Dioon edule, but I have planted some ice plant, too. On the other side is a clump of ornamental garlic.

I have stepped on the rootball to force the soil down and eliminate air pockets, and I will continue to water heavily. I will cover the entire area with a nice big bag of potting soil, and force that in also.

For design effect, you want the plants to criss-cross a bit. It's OK if they touch, it adds to the tropical feel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants