A sunny place on a wintery day

I intentionally got a house with the backyard facing east to maximize the amount of shade in the summer. This is the Sonoran desert, and it gets really, really hot here. Shade is a premium. In the winter, unfortunately, it makes my back yard fairly cold, and there are only a few sunny areas. Macintosh, the good little wiener dog, follows these sunny areas around and makes the best use of them. Here she is lounging in front of a dioon edule, var. palma sola cycad. Right behind the cycad is a nice little clump of Cape Honeysuckle (Tecomaria capensis). Immediately next to Macintosh's ear is a small clump of ice plant. I've had bad luck with ice plant here in The Tropical Paradise. I rooted quite a few and planted them all over the place, but most didn't last the summer. The plant to the left, which is light green, is asparagus fern, shaped like a fox tail. these grow very well here. It's not deep green because I haven't remembered to fertilize it, but I will!

The brown stuff you see on the ground is coffee grounds, which I get for free at Starbucks and Seattle's Best Coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants