Flagstone in The Tropical Paradise

You can't put plants everywhere. Believe me, I've tried! But safe walking surfaces don't need to just be ugly concrete. Here in The Tropical Paradise, I have been using flagstone for years. Because the ground doesn't freeze here, it can be laid on top of sand and then grouted. Be sure that the flagstone doesn't rock, or "teeter-toter", even a little bit. If it does, pick it up and put more sand below it and test it again. For me, it's a process of trial and error. I ask friends to walk on the flagstone blocks after I have laid them down and test them. If they fail the test, even a little bit, I make a note that I will have to refine how they sit. Grout will not fix that, all you will end up with is broken grout and "teeter-totter" flagstone, which is not only annoying, but can be dangerous to walk on.

Here Macintosh, the good little wiener dog, is looking at her new steps to her doggy door. I am watching very carefully and if they rock, or if she has difficulty with the configuration, I will try again. Once I am convinced that the flagstone is sitting properly, I will add grout.

Having pathways is very important to a garden, but it is no excuse to pour a lot of ugly concrete. Working with flagstone takes time and patience, but isn't that what creating a beautiful garden is all about?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants