How to trim blooming plants

I was in a neighborhood in Scottsdale a few days ago and I kept seeing a lot of plants that were trimmed like "poodles". I also call this "Dr. Seuss" plants, or "pom-poms". Anyway, I think that they look ridiculous. And they limit the beauty of the blooms, too. I think that you know what I mean. If you've hired a service to care for your plants, I really can't blame them, that is the fastest and easiest way to trim. But it's so wrong. The picture at left is how an oleander should look trimmed.

So, the first thing you should do is to put away that hedge trimmer. Unless you actually have a hedge, and I am assuming that you are in England, it's the wrong tool for this job. Plants such as oleanders look their best, and bloom their best, if they are treated like rose bushes, not hedges.

But trimming an ordinary blooming plant is not as complicated as caring for roses, don't worry. When you go out to trim it, just use ordinary garden shears. Find the longest shoots and cut them back hard. The plant will take on a nice, full shape, and it will be loaded with flowers. I guarantee!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants