Caring for a week-old fairy shrimp


It's been a week since the triops eggs hatched, and yesterday I started thinning out the community, which was actually mostly clam shrimp, which are interesting, but not the reason that I started this project.

And this is where raising triops from eggs is so similar to growing plants from seed, or seedlings. You have to make some tough decisions, because their life is in your hands. In gardening, it's called thinning, and I started doing it with the triops community for the same reason. You have to choose what will grow, and won't won't, because there's always limited space.

Since there's only one triop in the tank, she is easily recognizable, and I've named her Scorpius. No, I don't name my plants, but I always name my pets. Update: Scorpius is a fairy shrimp. At first I was kind of disappointed by my mistake, but now I'm beginning to really enjoy her beauty, and elegance. The name really fits!

I pondered buying a larger tank, but it really won't be necessary. Triops only live for a month or so, and this will be plenty of room for her once she has the space all to herself.

By the way, triops are asexual, so Scorpius really isn't a female. But all triops lay eggs, so for me it qualifies her for the female pronoun.

I'm enjoying seeing her grow!

By the way, "triop" means three eyes. I can see her eyes now.

When I look in your eyes,
I see the wisdom of the world
In your eyes.
I see the sadness
Of a thousand goodbyes
When I look in your eyes.

Autumn comes, summer dies.
I see the passing of the years
In your eyes.
And when we part,
There’ll be no tears –
No goodbyes …
I’ll just look into your eyes.

Update: I just realized this afternoon that this isn't a triop at all, it's a fairy shrimp. Only two eyes, but I'll take good care of her!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants