Refining your garden uplighting design, by moving plants


Last night I decided to relax, so I poured myself a beer into a frosted glass, and sat in the garden to simply enjoy the wonderful evening. And then I noticed that my design needed some refinement for the uplighting.

I had done some trimming during daylight hours, and found that the uplighting seemed to just be pointed mostly at at a rock and some dirt, so I moved an agave, specifically the one there on the left.


It was OK where it was, and in daylight the composition seemed just fine. But when the sun started going down, I saw that the light, while hitting the cycad very nicely, was just lighting a rock and some dirt when it should have been highlighting the beautiful little agave.

Moving an agave is easy, but it can be dangerous, so I put on my heavy-duty gauntlet gloves, got it started out with a small shovel, and gently lifted it out. I put it where the rock was, after having dug a bit more down, and added some fresh potting soil. It didn't take very long, and I was able to get back to relaxing.

I really don't do much nighttime gardening, but if you want to refine for uplighting, and see what you're doing, you have to wait to see what it looks like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants