Training a natal plum shrub into the shape of a tiny tree


Natal plums are wonderful. They have a wonderful green color, grow very slowly, and require very little maintenance. I've had one here by the patio for years and years, and recently I realized that, after all these years, it was finally growing out of its space, so I trimmed it back, and afterwards it looked terrible.


So I kept trimming, wondering what to do, until it was very close to being small enough for me to just take out. I put some rocks along the flagstone, which is where it had originally been overlapping. And as I kept trimming it back, it started to look like a tiny tree. I decided to keep going, and prune it as if it were a tree, down to a main trunk, with just a few branches.

I've pruned trees before, and the idea is to just create a nice canopy, allowing room so that people can walk underneath it without bonking their head, in this case a person about the size of Stuart Little. Here, I'll zoom in on the trunk.


There ya go, a good four inches of clearance for you to stroll under, I just measured it. In fact, you could be five inches tall and just have to duck your head a little bit. The mulch there is just the dead leaves that have accumulated, and I'll try to keep it mulched with appropriately-small mulch.

I don't know if this actually is considered true bonsai, but it has a nice Japanese feel to it, and I might be tempted to get a tiny bridge to put next to it, painted red for luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants