How, and why to roll up daffodil foliage after blooming

If you want your daffodils to bloom again the next year, you have to let the foliage die back normally. If you cut the foliage, you cut your chances for next year's bloom. And for a neat gardener, that's hard to do, and it's been mostly impossible for me over the years.

But this year I'm trying a trick that I've read about. The blooming is about over for my daffodils, and the foliage is starting to wilt, which looks kinda sad. And it gets worse, because the foliage will start to turn brown. And that's when I've always cut it off way too early. Can you blame me? Well, maybe you can.

So this year I planted some annuals around the daffodils, and as they grow they'll hide the foliage, which I will roll up (see the rubber band?) and tuck underneath. From what I've read this will help the daffodils get the energy they next for next year's blooms back into the bulbs, and will cover up the unsightliness.

I'll let you know how it goes. Gotta go water the annuals now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants