How to have swaying palm trees in a tiny backyard


If you live in a climate where palm trees grow, from Los Angeles to Florida, or here in Phoenix, my only question to you is, "Why don't you have swaying palm trees that you can enjoy every day in your own backyard?" And I think I know the answer you would say to me, "Because they're too darned big, Brad, and I have a small suburban lot. I have no intention of looking at telephone poles while I sit in my backyard!"

OK, calm down, I agree with you. The common palm trees that you see in places like Beverly Hills are much too big for an average yard. And that's why you have to think small. Let me make some suggestions.

The plants I have here are miniatures. The palm tree that you see there next to the window is over fifteen years old, and if (God willing) I live for another twenty years it won't really get much taller. It's a dwarf date palm. And you can get them for cheap at any garden center. I have several planted around my property.

But look closer and you'll see that the other plants that look like palm trees aren't palm trees at all. They're palm-like plants called cycads. Yep, cycads, go Google it, I'll wait.

The most common cycad is called a "sago palm", but there are lots of other types, and they all do well with warm temperatures. And here in Phoenix we get a LOT of warm temperatures - in fact so much that you'd be wise to find a shady place for your palm-like plants.

So there ya go, let the palm trees sway!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants