How to create a tiny little tropical paradise in your backyard


I just love sitting outdoors. I think that I have a touch of claustrophobia, so I dislike being trapped inside all of the time, even if the indoors are very comfortable. I'm the kind of person who goes outside instead of sitting in a waiting room at the dentist. I don't need to go out into the wilderness, miles away, I just need a place outside with fresh air.

If that sounds kinda like you, then you can create a tiny little tropical paradise in your backyard. No, it won't be designed to accommodate crowds of people, it won't be a place to play touch football, it will simply be a quiet place surrounded by plants.

My backyard is very small, it's surrounded by block walls, and I've added plants. I have a nice tree, and I've also got a table with an umbrella. The chairs are simple and light and can easily be moved into the shade when it's hot, or the sun when it's cold.

For many people, this use of the space is very puzzling. Most of the people that I know, if they have a space like this, will fill it with a lot of stuff (I almost said junk!). You know, clutter accumulates to fill the space allowed for it. But I defend this space - this is not a storage area, this is a place where I live, where I spend a lot of my time.

I have dogs, but I don't let their poop sit around, I scoop it up as soon as I see it, and put it in a sealed trash can, with a heavy-duty bag lining, in the side yard. Yes, this is a space that you fuss over.

It's amazing how comfortable a space can become with a little design, and a few plants. It's a labor to care for, but it's a labor of love. And it's a space that's meant to be used. Excuse me, I'm going outside now, my tropical paradise is calling me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants