The artistry of turning a small bush into a miniature tree


Some plants, like euphorbia, do great in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Like planting a cactus, you don't need to do anything other than stick them in the ground, and stand back. Once they establish roots, they flourish. Actually, they tend to get out of hand, they grow so fast. And that makes them a great candidate to be trained into a miniature tree.


It does take some artistry, and effort, because a plant like this wants to grow into a bushy shape, and the first thing you have to create is the trunk. Of course the plant has to be big enough, and thick enough at the base in order for you to create a miniature tree trunk. This euphorbia has been in the ground for a couple of years now, and this morning I went out and cut away all of the lower branches, and am beginning to shape the trunk.

As you can see, I cut off a large branch that was growing sideways, and kept just the one trunk, which is about six inches to where it branches. My wiener dogs will be able to stroll under it. I went and trimmed the stubs as far back as I could, and over time I'll smooth them out with the help of a metal file. I will also need to keep an eye on sucker growth, and snip them right away. This plant wants to be a bush, not a tree, so this will take some effort, and commitment.

I added more potting soil at the base, and watered it in with Miracle-Gro.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants