Why your petunias aren't blooming, and what to do about it


Petunias do great here in the desert. They grow and bloom profusely all winter, and I've planted them year after year. This year, however, because of the puppy, I've planted them in a pot, not in the ground, and while the plant is strong and healthy, as you can see, there are no blooms. The reason for that is the plant isn't getting enough hours of sunlight.

Sure it's getting sunlight right now, in the morning, but very soon the patio will go into shade. Good for people, not so good for blooming flowers!

If this is happening to you, the solution is easy, move the plant out to where it will get more sunshine.

For me, this creates a bit of dilemma. Petunias need regular watering, and with my wonky ankle it's best for me to keep the plant close to where I can get to it easily, to keep it watered. I water it twice a week, even in the cool of winter, and it loves it. By the way, the cool of the winter here in the Phoenix area means highs that can reach into the low seventies.

I just refilled the automatic watering bowl for the dogs, which I keep outside, and I dump the remaining water on my petunias on Wednesdays and Sundays, and I'm pondering how I feel about the lack of blooms. The plant itself is wonderfully healthy, and I may just need to accept that for this season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants