How, and why to have a quiet garden


The first time that I heard the concept of having a quiet garden, I really didn't understand. Plants, after all, tend to not make a lot of noise, you know! But once I understood what it all meant, I embraced the concept. I'll see if I can explain.

Yes, of course your plants aren't going to make a bunch of noise, but how you care for them just might. And it all depends on what plants you have, and how you maintain them.

I just love to sit out in my garden in the morning and in the evenings. I have no grass, that's artificial turf that you're looking at there, and few of my neighbors have grass, either. And that means that as I sit down with my cup of coffee in the morning, or my glass of beer in the evening, the serenity isn't ruined by the roar of a lawn mower. I also have no plants that require a lot of trimming, like with power hedge trimmers. Another unpleasant sound! The trimming that I do is done with clippers, which is a pleasant sound, and I really don't do all that much of it.

I housesat for a friend in a nice neighborhood in California and was surprised at the noise. I enjoyed how lush the landscaping was all around me, but the noise began early in the morning, with the roar of lawnmowers, hedge trimmers, and power blowers.

By the way, I do have a small blower, which I use briefly, and only for a couple of times each month, to blow leaves, and it really does work well. It's as small and as quiet as I have found, and I only use it after ten am. But mostly I let the leaves fall, which overall gives a more realistic look to my artificial turf - I'm not out there every day with the thing, and certainly not at the crack of dawn!

I love my quiet garden. Excuse me, I think I'm going to pour myself a cold one, and go sit outside, since it's Friday. Gardens are meant to be lived in, not just looked at through a window!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants