Why you should replace your old landscape lighting with LED lights


If you're like me, and put lights in your garden over the past twenty years, you need to upgrade with LED lights. I finally installed my last one yesterday, and I'm very happy with them.

And no, it's not just because it's the latest thing, they really are better. No, nobody is paying me to say this, I just like them. And doggone it, gardens look great with this kind of lighting - I just hate to see a beautiful garden ruined at night with "stadium lighting".

The number one reason I like the LEDs is that they're not hot. My old landscape lights were burning hot, and it always worried me to have something that hot next to my plants, and especially the mulch, which is dry.

I'm no good at math so I didn't try to figure out anything. I just knew that the LEDs consume less electricity than the old lights did, so I replaced all of my lights. And luckily for me there's no need to learn what brightness in lumens (or whatever), I just bought the equivalent of what I had, which were 20 watt spotlights. Or is it volt? Anyway, I just looked for the number 20, and that was it. The LEDs were the correct brightness, not too bright, not too dim.

Speaking of dimness, the LEDs solved a problem that my old lights had, which is that they got dimmer as they got farther away from the transformer. I think that's called resistance? Anyway, the new LEDs don't get dim, even in the Outback.

Let's see, what else? Oh yeah, bulbs. I used to have to stock lots of bulbs, which would burn out regularly. The LEDs lights don't have replaceable bulbs. I'm not sure how long they'll last, but the warranty is for five years, and I'm kinda thinking ten or twenty years. I don't run mine all night, so they'll probably last for a very long time - maybe longer than I will!

I like my new LED landscape lights. It was worth the trouble of replacing the old lights.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants