Sharing a garden with dogs that are bred to dig


I really can't recommend having dachshunds in your garden. As a breed, they're diggers. Digging is what comes naturally to them, so discouraging them from doing it takes some work. It can be done, but it takes patience, and vigilance.

When I got my first doxie, over thirteen years ago, there was a lot less temptation for her. Yes, I had a garden, but nothing as elaborate as what I have now. I kept an eye on her, because I could see her all of the time, and if she started digging I would discourage it simply by gently turning her away from it.

My new pup, who has been here for only a few months, has been good, but of course I've seen some digging. I've also seen some chewing, and I'm doing the same thing I did for the older doxie - simply watching and correcting immediately. I will physically take her away from things she shouldn't be doing (she only weighs four pounds) or a sharp "no" will stop her. I also have the squirt bottle, for distance corrections.

I'm encouraging the dogs to spend time away from my watchful eye, and of course there are the random holes dug when I go do an inspection. No, of course there's no correction (dogs don't remember doing something like that, they're not like people) so I refill the hole and move on. Something that I've discovered this year is a dog and cat repellant, which is simply granules of pepper, which I sprinkle into the hole before I fill it, and then sprinkle a little bit on the top. Safe for animals, but they dislike the smell. Works great, but it's not a magic cure, I still have to be there, and watch.

Caring for a garden and caring for dogs is a lot of work, and takes a lot of time. It's a labor of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants