How and why to use a moisture meter for potted plants


I don't have a lot of plants in pots here, but the ones I have always have me wondering if they're getting enough water, or too much? The plants in the ground seem to regulate their intake of water just fine, taking what they need and letting the rest drain away, but in pots it's not so easy for the plant, and they need a little extra help. That's why I use a moisture meter.

I've had this one for many years now, and it was very cheap. It measures moisture and pH, although all I've ever used it for is checking moisture. And I'm no rocket scientist, but I can see if the needle pegs to the right, I don't need to add any more water. Most of the potted plants I've killed have been from overwatering, so it's good to check. As you can see here, this plant needed a bit of water, so I gave it a nice drink right before I came in to write this post.

All of the plants on my Tiki bar were kinda dry, so I watered them. I checked the potted plants on the patio, and they pegged out to the right, so I'll leave them alone. Of course all plants are different, but for stuff like I have here, sansevierias, they don't want to be sopping wet, or bone dry. If they get too wet their roots will rot, and if they get too dry, they'll die from lack of water.

So grab the moisture meter and stick it in the dirt. Not just at the top, about midway is perfect. If you tend to overwater, like I do, the needle will peg to the right, and so don't add any more water. If it's dry, water the plant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants