Keeping birds from digging up your garden by using plastic snakes


I like birds, don't get me wrong. I love their songs, I love to see them in flight. But, unfortunately, they have tendency to dig holes in my garden, excavating for worms, I guess. And I wish they wouldn't do that. They dig around plants, sometimes exposing roots, and sometimes they just make my garden look as if someone had been tossing hand-grenades into it. Not a good look!

I've been trying different things for years to no avail, until a Facebook friend posted a photo of some plastic snakes in his garden which he called "scarecrows". So I wandered over to the dollar store, bought two bags of them, and put them in places in the garden. It worked! No digging, even though it's the time of the year when the digging is usually at its worst.

So today I went back and invested another two dollars, doing the front garden, and the courtyard. You're actually looking at the back of the front garden, as the goal is to make them visible to birds, but not show as much to us humans.

Looking at them from a bird's eye view I'm beginning to understand. Birds see them, and keep on going. I guess birds stay away from snakes. Hopefully this will mean the end of constantly filling excavation holes! I'll let you know how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants