This blog is about growing tropical-looking plants in the Phoenix, Arizona area



September 18, 2015

Fixing a leak in the misting line


I noticed some telltale signs of the misting line leaking yesterday - excessive water accumulating on the ground, bubbles. So I pushed the dirt aside (the line is only an inch or so below the soil line) and sure enough, there was a tiny pinpoint hole that had been leaking - and once revealed was spraying out like crazy. I'm assuming the birds that dig into the soil did it. I've found a neat trick for fixing these types of lines, using brass compression fittings.

The first thing I did was to cut the line (where the arrow is pointing) and made sure to cut away where the hole was. Then I went to the hardware store and bought a brass 3/8" compression union. It's in the plumbing area, and be sure you get it right - there's only about a million different variations and sizes. Be sure it's 3/8" on both ends. The first time I did this, I had the guy at the hardware store show me how it all works.

The tools required to assemble it are pliers and a small adjustable wrench. No, you can't tighten it with your fingers - this is a seriously solid repair! Once the line is adjusted, I check the water to be sure that there are no leaks (I'm cynical) and then I cover it back up.


I had to move a little Blue Elf Aloe out of the way, but it had a nice root system and I replanted it right away and it should be fine. Aloes are pretty tough that way!
Post a Comment