Creating access to trim your tropical plants

Although people use the term *jungle* in a positive way when you have a lot of tropical plants, having your garden turn into a jungle, with no access for trimming, and letting everything get overgrown, is not a good thing.

The trick to it is to create access without making places look like a path. It's quite a challenge!

As you can see in this photo, I have some small *stepping stones* behind the cycads and miniature palm trees. They are not meant to look like paths, in fact, visitors should not really pay any attention to them. They're just places where I can safely put my feet when I need to get back there and trim the plants.

The rocks back there also perform another function, they cover the *spaghetti tubing* that comes from the main water line and goes over to the plants. I don't want to accidentally kick that tubing, or really to disturb it at all.

Last season I made the mistake of planting some small elephant ear plants that very quickly got big, and were difficult to get access to. So I got rid of them, and gave them to a friend a few days ago. Now my goal is keep this access clear so that when the cycads really get growing, I can get back there and trim as needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants