Staking freesia

I just noticed some new freesia buds a few minutes ago, and I went and staked them. I planted these two years ago, and while they are beautiful, they are also top-heavy when in full bloom. My enjoyment of the flowers started up high and then fell down as they dropped their faces into the mud.

This year, I am prepared. I bought some thin sticks of bamboo from the dollar store, tied the buds gently but firmly to it, and am hoping that this year will be better.

I am pleased by the color of the bamboo stakes. In fact, I had to draw a little red arrow to help you to see it in the photograph. Unfortunately, the plant ties are not quite as invisible, but it's important for them to be flexible, so don't be tempted to use wire or anything like that which might "decapitate" your flowers.

Freesia blooms from last year
If you're wondering why flowers don't tip over in the wild, it's because they haven't been hybridized to create those amazing, huge flowers that we have come to expect. Because of this, the flowers are top-heavy, and need a little help. Hopefully, this will work!

By the way, the freesia at right are Sunset Sisters from Easy to Grow Bulbs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants