Applying fire ant killer and weed pre-emergent

It's February, and it's time to do a couple of "invisible" things to the garden that will keep fire ants away and prevent weeds. That is, applying Amdro and Amaze.

If you've ever been out digging in the garden and suddenly realized that your hands and arms are on fire, you have been stung by fire ants. Not only do the stings hurt a lot, they hurt for a long time. So many years ago, I discovered Amdro. You get it at Home Depot - I get the small size - and spread it out by shaking out the granules all over the garden. It isn't a contact poison, it's picked up and carried to the mound. The reason I know it works is because there have been seasons when I have forgotten to do this!

It's the same with a weed pre-emergent. The only reason I know it works is the number of weeds I've gotten when I forgotten to apply it. I got a nice big bag of it at Home Depot yesterday and scattered it out all over the place. After it's scattered, you gently water it in. It works especially good on gravel, which I have a fair amount of in the courtyard, the front yard, and The Outback. No, it doesn't kill existing weeds, so still gotta blast them with RoundUp, but, like the name implies, they keep seeds from germinating, that is, you apply it before they emerge. By the way, it keeps all seeds from germinating, so don't apply it where you are growing plants from seeds. By why are you growing plants from seeds?

If you have been a conscientious gardener, and have applied these every season, you don't have any fire ants, and you have very few weeds. If you have been forgetful, like me, you have seen what happens when you don't apply them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants