Aloe Crosby's Prolific - Aloe nobilis x A. humilis for the thicket

I got a visit from a fellow member of The Arizona Palm and Cycad Association yesterday afternoon, who had gotten an Aloe Crosby's Prolific (Aloe nobilis x A. humilis). This is a miniature aloe that pups profusely, so I pulled out a lot of pups and we split the cost of the plant.

Normally, I prefer plants that do not pup, but in this case I am going to create what I am calling a "thicket". The goal is to combine visual interest with a discouragement of feet stepping where the garden is supposed to look like it ends. I've been working on this a long time! Ground cover itself failed miserably here at The Tropical Paradise, so this will be a trick to try to create a low "ground cover" that should actually do well here.

As you can see, I spread them out evenly. Once the plants start to grow, they will pup and spread, and I will need to thin. This is in an area with partial shade, not in the full sun, as aloes, although they are tough, really don't like to be out in the blazing heat.

The design goal here is to make this area a stopping point. That is, it should physically stop people (who wants to walk on pointy plants?) and it should be an area of visual interest that stops people for a better reason, looking pretty cool.

I will add more to this area as I can. It is a good place for agaves, sansevierias, and, of course, aloes. The miniatures go in front, so this is a good start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants