Designing nighttime lighting for the garden

Nighttime lighting in a garden is absolutely magical. I have Malibu® lights, but I'm sure any type of low voltage system will be fine. I have added to my system over the years, and not to sound like a commercial for Malibu®, I find it easy to find the stuff I need at Home Depot. Now I sound like a commercial for Home Depot!

Anyway, The Tropical Paradise has two 100-watt transformers to cover the area. One line wraps around the southern edge of the garden, one goes around the north. The lights are 20-watt spotlights and 11-watt path lights. The trick is to get as much "uplighting" as possible, which looks great on palm trees, without creating glare. A 20-watt spotlight blasting into your eyes at night is not pleasant!

Here on this corner (pictured), I have extended the garden several feet, but the original light was too close to the wall, which left this corner in the dark. I will be extending the line tomorrow to include the added distance of the garden, and I want to do another spotlight there. But I have a challenge.

Here on this corner, the spotlight would need to point back toward the wall. If even a little bit of the light glares towards the patio, it will be a failure, so I will have to be sure to angle it in such a way that it won't. Just like when I started designing the system twenty years ago, I am testing with a flashlight.

Tomorrow I will splice in several new feet of wire, bury it, and place the spotlight. This area should look a whole lot better tomorrow night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants