Exposed roots at the bottom of your palm tree

If you have a Phoenix roebellini (pygmy date palm) that has been in the ground for several seasons, you have probably noticed that its roots get exposed. This is perfectly normal for this plant, and is known as *stiliting*.

And believe me, no matter how much potting soil you spread around, it eventually gets back up on its stilts. And even though it's perfectly normal, it's, well, a little unsightly. I've tried piling rocks up, too, but they just get pushed aside. There must be some reason why this plant wants to expose its roots. I haven't done any research on it, and I am satisfied to think that this is just the way God made it.

Anyway, I am trying to grow some ground cover around it. Because just because it's natural, doesn't mean that I have to like looking at it. Macintosh, the good little wiener dog, doesn't seem to mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants