Caladium Gingerland beginning to grow

One of the cool things about planting bulbs is that moment when you glance down and see something growing that maybe you don't remember ever planting there. I planted this Caladium Gingerland about two months ago and then promptly forgot all about it. It started poking up a few days ago (at least so that I could notice it), and is now beginning to unfurl its first leaf.

As you can see, it's planted in the shadiest place in my garden that I could find. This new variety is said to be *sun tolerant*, but here in the Phoenix, Arizona, area to me that just means that it might not completely burn up if planted outside in deep shade. Even a little bit of morning sun can be brutal on plants like this!

Beginning to sprout May 1st

Growth by May 8th
I am always experimenting mostly, so I will keep an eye on this plant. It is surrounded by cannas and elephant ears so I hope he will feel at home. I'll let you know how it does.

Second leaf beginning to grow May 13th
Update May 13 After five days, the first leaf still looks about the same, not unfurled yet, but I just noticed that it is beginning to send up another leaf.

Still waiting for the first leaf to open after two weeks
Update May 18 The leaf still hasn't unfurled. Maybe I should stop looking at it every day?


The leaf is still unfurling slowly. I went away for the weekend, and even that didn't help
Update May 22 OK, this leaf is unfurling but it is painfully slow. I thought that these tropical plants were supposed to grow fast? The good news is that it is getting some brutal morning sun - it's already over 100 degrees here in the Phoenix area, and shows no sign of any sunburn. And the second leaf is growing strong.


Update June 3  The heat came on very strong in late May and the first leaf suffered some sunburn, and still never unfurled. The other leaf is still growing, so all is not lost. And, after all, it's a bulb, and if it doesn't make it this year, it can try again next year. I'm surprised at how much sunlight is still reaching this plant. Hopefully next year the plants around it will be bigger and will give more shade. The second bulb, but the way, never even started. I suppose it rotted away. Well, now it's fertilizer. Nothing goes to waste in the garden.


Caladium number 2, hidden away, but growing!
Update June 3 in the afternoon Hey, I just found the second Caladium, hidden away among the Cannas, which I have been trimming over the past few weeks. It's alive, but it looks like it's suffering from unfurling dysfunction, too. Well, at least it's alive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants