Partridge breast aloe

To my surprise, my Partridge breast aloe (Aloe variegata) is doing well here in The Tropical Paradise. This is in an area that I have started calling my *transitional zone*. It gets a lot of sun but some shade. It's in an area with a lot of sandy soil that drains freely, and it receives no direct spray of water, just whatever runs downhill, and then runs away. I am greatly encouraged by this and have added haworthia to the area (which are very closely related to aloe), and as the slope gets dryer and sunnier, I am transitioning over to agave, which has a similar shape, but is much tougher.

Aloe and haworthia are small, easily-damaged plants by people who may step into the garden, so my plan is to get more pointy rocks to protect them. These types of plants grow naturally in rocky outcrops, so it will look better when the rocks are in.
Haworthia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants