Repairing a 1/2" water trunkline for a drip system

I've had occasion to repair the 1/2" water trunkline on my system a few times. It happens mostly when I, uh, dig through it accidentally, which I did a couple of days ago, while moving some daffodil bulbs. These things happen! There are a few ways to repair this type of damage, and I've tried them all, which is why I do it the way I am going to describe.

Even though this is a low-pressure system, it is still under pressure, and a leak is the least of your concerns. A water explosion is more likely whenever there is a breach of the system! So don't even think about being sloppy on this type of repair! I've used the simple compression-type repair tubing, but they really don't work. The best thing to use is this system that I found at Home Depot (pictured). In order to do this right, you will need two assemblies and a short piece of 1/2" tubing.

Cut away the damaged tubing and slide the connector over the existing tubing. There is a nipple that fits in snugly, and the connector tightens it up. Do the same for the other side and for the tubing in-between. If you get it wrong, just recut and try again. Your goal is to have just a tiny bit of *buckle* in the line (not so much that it pinches) so that the whole system is self-bracing. You certainly don't want it to *not quite reach* or it will come apart! Done correctly, it's a very sturdy repair, and I've used it to expand the line, too (which is really what it's for).

Even though I'm sure that I've done everything right this morning, I don't trust it until I see it work for a while, so I will leave it uncovered for a few days. After that, it gets covered up, and hopefully I can forget about it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants