Planting iris bulbs around a palm tree

Iris are wonderful here in the desert and grow very well. I like the long, tropical, strap-like leaves, and while the blooms aren't very long-lasting, they are continuous. So much so that when they do start to bloom, you have to get out there and trim them a lot. A labor of love!

This year I have planted a Tall Bearded Iris called *Firebreather*, which I found at my local Home Depot pretty cheap. I saw them online sold as a single bulb for twice the price I paid for two. I bought four of them and planted them on each side of, and in front of, my Phoenix rupicola palm tree. It's the beginning of October here so this is the best time to plant iris.

The leaves will start to grow right away, and the blooms will appear in the spring. Tall Bearded irises are re-blooming, so all you have to do to get blooms next year is to let the leaves die down a bit, which will happen when the weather begins to heat up again, cut the dried leaves back, and leave them alone. They will multiply and re-bloom next year!

Yes, I know that technically they are actually not bulbs, but are rhizomes, but you treat them pretty much the same. Just don't plant them too deep! To plant iris, put out some fresh potting soil, some slow-release fertilizer, and lay the rhizomes pretty much on the surface. No reason to dig at all. Give them regular water and stand back. What could be easier?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants