Dioon spinulosum flushing in September

I moved my Dioon spinulosum last year when I had the palo brea tree removed. The tree had really gotten out of control, was spiny, and I had planted it way too close to my block wall many years ago, and it was in danger of falling over and ruining the block wall, so I'm glad I removed it. Still, it provided a lot of nice shade for my cycads, especially the Dioon spinulosum, which I have had for over fifteen years.

So I moved the dioon over to the other side of the garden, where it gets afternoon shade, but unfortunately, a lot of morning sun. This past summer the fronds burned badly and I was about to despair for its health and longevity in the new spot, when I just noticed signs of life! It is putting out new leaves, a flush, in September! Life finds a way! I've been growing cycads for a long time and it's just a reminder to not give up too soon.

One thing to note about cycads that have had an easy life in the shade, that when they flush in direct sun, their fronds will be considerably shorter. In the shade, the fronds for this plant were at least four feet long, and here they are barely two. This also happens in sago palms (Cycas revoluta). I am hoping that in a season or two, it will acclimate to the sunnier spot, and the fronds will grow a little longer. Right now I am just happy that it is growing and alive.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants