The cooling effect of tropical plants

Resorts here in the Phoenix area have used tropical plants to create the illusion of cool ocean breezes for a long time now. No, tropical plants don't actually make it any cooler, it just feels that way. Yes, it's still over 100 degrees here, even in the shade!

To me, having harsh desert plants like cactus staring at you just reminds you of how hot and miserable it is in the summer here. Don't get me wrong, I have a beautiful Saguaro cactus out front, but in the back I want to imagine that I am in Tahiti, not the Sonoran Desert. So, dried up skulls of cows and tumbleweeds just don't appeal to me.

This is an oasis. Like any oasis, it's small. Trying to achieve a Tropical Paradise that is the size of Disneyland in your backyard is a terrible mistake. All you really need is a place to sit surrounded by your tropical plants. Here in The Tropical Paradise, I installed artificial turf about six years ago, and it's the best investment I have ever made. Still looks great. You have to go outside and sweep it occasionally, but that's about it. I spray it with the hose, which cleans it up nicely and also waters my plants, in addition to the water that they get from the automatic system.

Something that I try to do regularly, which helps with the cooling illusion, is to get out and trim as much sunburned leaves as I can. Even in the afternoon shade, most of my tropical plants will sunburn at the tips, especially the cannas, from morning sun, which is still pretty harsh. And every once in a while, I cut them right back to the ground. That's what makes them come back so beautifully.

This is the view I have from my window by my computer, so I want it to be soothing. Sure, it's hot out there, but it doesn't have to look that way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants