Preparing the soil in preparation for carrots

I dug down about a foot and removed the native soil by spreading it around the garden. This morning I filled the hole with a bag of sand mixed with Osmocote® and a small bag of Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil. Looks like I am going to need some more. I have a bag of seed starter soil standing by, but I need to bring the level up higher before I add that to the very top layer. The carrot seeds will go into the top layer.

By the way, if you are wondering how to dig a hole like this in Arizona clay without pickaxes or blasting equipment - try this trick: Dig as much as you comfortably can and then fill the hole with water. When it soaks in, it turns the clay into a goop that you can scoop out. Watch out for your back - it's heavy! I started this hole yesterday, filled it up with water, and finished it this morning.  This is pretty much how I have planted all of my plants. I like to say that my plants aren't really planted in the ground - they are planted in "clay pots" dug out of the desert ground.

So be generous with the sand and the potting soil - that's where your plants are really living. It just looks like Arizona.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants