Planting lettuce seeds

I experimented with lettuce last season, and was surprised at how easily it grew. So this year I am approaching it in a more organized way. I had originally planned to wait until I could buy little lettuce seedlings, but I hate to wait, so I planted some seeds yesterday. Lettuce gives a nice "ground cover" look which goes well with my garden. And I can eat it!

Last year, I scattered seeds all over the garden to see where they would take, and where the plants would grow. This area of The Tropical Paradise, in an east-facing area, is where they grew best last year. It may be a bit early in the season, but I am hoping that the desert will do what it always does, switch off the hot weather very quickly. And we are about a month or so away from that now. If things work out the way I want them to, the seedlings will start to poke up in a few weeks and start to become "real plants" at about the time the weather begins to cool down. Lettuce is a cool-weather crop, so it should be at its best in the winter. And I will be harvesting the leaves, that is trimming them and eating them, not digging up the whole plant, so it will provide food for a whole season.

A couple of things that I am doing different this year is to use seed-starter soil, which you can see in the photo, and I bought some non-toxic (to humans) bug spray.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I hate to wait. Have they sprouted yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants