Carrots planted in The Tropical Paradise

I finished up the careful planting of carrot seeds in The Tropical Paradise for this season. The seeds are planted along dug-out lines (called "drills") that fan out from the watering spray head. The spray head really doesn't spray very well on this side on the yard (it's at the end of line), so I am planning on gravity to bring the water to the bottom.

The carrots are Ferry-Morse Danvers #126, which I purchased at Amazon. The carrots will be much bigger than the variety I planted last year, which were only miniatures. That is why I dug out a hole a foot deep and filled it in with sand and potting soil.

Of course, the carrots are more than just a vegetable here at The Tropical Paradise. Their ferny leaves create a very nice *tropical* effect ground cover. They just have to start growing! The package says that they germinate in about two weeks so hopefully I will not be looking at bare dirt by the middle of September. The package says, *Ready to harvest in 75 days*, which means that I should be enjoying fresh, delicious carrots no later than November 10th.

I will plant a second crop then to keep the look of the ground cover going until spring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants