The Tropical Paradise in the shade

Now that the weather is warming up here in The Tropical Paradise, I am moving into the shade. It's June 3rd, at just about 2 pm, and it's comfortable enough in the shade, but brutal in the sun. As you can see, the olive tree provides shade for the south side of the yard, and in a couple of hours the shadow of the house will take care of the rest. When I bought this house, I intentionally selected a backyard that would get afternoon shade.

I work out of my house (I'm a web designer) so it has to be my sanctuary, and it is. I have some nice easy-to-clean outdoor furniture that I got at Target, a yoga mat and some light weights. I find myself sitting at my computer for hours at a time, so it's good for me to go out there and stretch, especially my lower back. The green squirt bottle, by the way, is a technique that I used to teach my dachshund not to bark so much, and now I just have to show it to her to remind her. I didn't really use it all that much, anyway. I learned this from a cat friend. The serenity of my Tropical Paradise would be ruined by a yapping wiener dog, and they can learn, with patience, love, and a squirt bottle.

The step-stool is for two things. One, I use it to strengthen my ankles and knees, by stepping up and down, and I also put stuff on it. I'm a pretty fit middle-aged guy and I would like to keep it that way! The rope hanging down has some nice flexible handles on it, so I can stretch my back. I originally had chrome metal handles, but that was a mistake!

What makes all of this setup work so well is the artificial turf. You couldn't do this on real grass, it would be too much of a hassle. And if this were all paving or concrete, it would be an ugly, awful place to be. As it is, it's very pleasant! Excuse me, I think I want to go out now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants