How to plant a palm tree in Arizona - finishing touches

The last step of planting a palm tree is to add a generous amount of garden soil and be sure to compact it in. Step on it! In addition to the companion plants, there are a lot of bulbs planted at the base of this Phoenix rupicola x canariensis palm tree. Over to the left, I planted a small zamia cycad and then realized that there really wasn't enough light in that particular area, so I added another path light. Next to the path and spot lights I always have a few nice rocks, which help hide the electrical cords, hold them down, and also add a bit of visuals to discourage people from accidentally kicking them as they walk by. I do want the lighting fixtures to seem invisible, but it's OK to see the rocks.

The artificial turf, which I had installed in 2006, had a curve in it, for no apparent reason, that I have tried to make look as if the grass were "trimmed" around the base of the new tree. There is a slight slope from the tree, only a few degrees, which I have still got dammed up a bit to encourage water to be held, and I will smooth it away eventually to allow water to flow away. I changed the drip line emitter from a plain dripper to a 180-degree sprayer to water the tree and all of its companion plants. If you look closely, you can see it just above the clump of ornamental garlic.

This is the very best time of the year to plant a palm tree as the roots will grow well into the warm ground. I am continuing to water it by hand daily, and will continue to do so, being sure to spray the leaves, for the next few weeks. Once it's established, all it will need to regular fertilizer a few times a year, and a good bath of Miracle Grow through a hose-end sprayer a couple of times a year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants