Another rainy day in paradise

Here in the desert, we are fascinated by rain. Hey, we don't get all that much! Right now we are having a typical "Christmas rain", as I call it, soft and gentle. This will supply all of the water that your cycads need here in the Sonoran Desert, which is why I turn off the water in the garden from November to May.

This is the view from my dining room window. As you can see the Caladium (Elephant Ear) is now growing right into the Dioon spinulosum cycad. Looks kind of strange, but I will leave it alone for right now. The more the plants are all crowded together, the better it will be for them during the cold days of January coming up!

The lawn furniture is aluminum, so it will be fine in the rain. The little table is plastic, so I don't need to worry about it, either. Having furniture that can be left out in real air, dirt, sun, and rain in the garden is the way to go! When it stops raining, I can hose them off and they will air dry. If there are other plants, such as annuals or bulbs, that I want to water more, I can do that at that time. But this is the time to avoid over-watering your cycads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants