Sharing The Tropical Paradise with my best friend

I've always liked dogs. And I've always liked gardens. Getting these two things to mix well is a challenge, but it can be done.

I've had dogs in my life since I moved to Arizona to go to ASU, but I was never a dog owner (or a dog guardian, as they say in California) until five years ago when Macintosh, the good little wiener dog, came into my life. When I hear stories of people's dogs digging up their yard or chewing their plants, I smile weakly and try to change the subject.

The first thing that I knew that I wanted, if I ever got a dog, was a female. Females are smarter, you know. And they don't go around marking everything by lifting a leg. I also knew that I wanted a small dog. My garden is not the place for a big, galumphing dog. Macintosh is a miniature dachshund, and was the smallest of the litter. Full grown, she weighs only about ten pounds. If you love dogs, like I do, you know that the best thing that you can do for them is to be very clear about whatever rules you have. Dogs are eager to please, but they don't read minds and they don't understand complex explanations.

I am a big believer in starting rewarding good behavior with small treats (called baiting), and then replacing those treats with praise. Dogs are like people, you know, they can't get enough of praise for doing the right thing. And, also like people, dogs can be insecure, so I am sure to give her plenty of praise for just being a good dog. I don't recommend dachshunds as a breed, unless you have a lot of time and patience. They are bred to dig and to bark, so discouraging them of this is very, very difficult. But it can be done.

When you see Macintosh, the good little wiener dog, in The Tropical Paradise, I'm sure that you, too, will tell her that she is a good little dog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants