The Tropical Paradise in the morning

It's finally cooled off here in Glendale, and my favorite place in the morning is The Tropical Paradise, with my best friend, Macintosh, the good little wiener dog.

The back of my house faces due east, so plants that don't like the hot afternoon sun are shaded by noon. I bought this house with its orientation to the sun in mind. Afternoon shade is more comfortable for plants, people and dogs. And morning sunlight is so beautiful, don't you think?

I've been a member of the Arizona Palm and Cycad Association for almost ten years now, and many of my plants were given to me by fellow members, both through kindness and also the fact that many people have run out of room in their gardens. Believe me, it happens! I have tried to label the plants carefully, especially the cycads, but the one in the foreground started growing this year and I didn't even realize that it was in the ground. It is a type of cycas, but I can't be more specific. Behind it is a small Ravenea rivularis (Majesty Palm), which is a common palm that you can buy here at Home Depot, Walmart or Lowe's. It's leaves sunburn easily, so tuck it up into a shady area as much as you can. Behind it is a Dioon spinulosum, which also appreciates afternoon shade. You can these for sale in Arizona, but they are common and inexpensive at any Home Depot in Los Angeles. And I have had them growing here for many years.

The plant in the middle of the picture used to be called a "Mother-in-Law's Tongue" when I was a kid, but now it's just called a snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata). I experiment with "house plants". Some can't take the heat, some can't take the cold. The ones that survive from year to year amaze me. It's great living in Arizona!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants