Attracting humingbirds to your tropical paradise with Cape Honeysuckle

There is just something magical about hummingbirds. I get a lot of them here at the Tropical Paradise, and they are attracted naturally. Like all birds, they seek water. But, as you know, they especially are attracted to reddish flowers with a long, tubular shape. And that's good, because I have some here.

The plant that attracts the most hummingbirds here is called Cape Honeysuckle (Tecomaria capensis). It has a wonderfully tropical leaf, as you can see, and grows in a vining sort of way. You can trim them to keep them fairly small, like I do here, or you can let them get really big.

Another really cool thing about Cape Honeysuckle, in addition to attracting hummingbirds, is that it blooms in the winter. It's October now and that's the first bloom I've seen. So it looks great when the winter visitors get here. It is not deciduous (doesn't lose its leaves in the winter), and is available at every garden center for cheap. It's a vigorous grower, too.

Excuse me, I think I'm going to go out and watch for more hummingbirds!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Growing sunflowers from Pennsylvania in Arizona

How to tell if your cycad (sago palm) is alive or dead

Rooting sago palm pups for more plants